How’s your sleep?
When was the last time you woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the challenges of a new day?
Below are some common factors that inhibit quality sleep:
- Unmanageable stress
- Poor diet e.g. caffeine, sugar, white carbohydrates & alcohol
- Blue light emission from our electronic devices; e.g. computers & smartphones
- Chatterbox: before going to sleep we become ‘wired and tired.’ Can you relate to this quote – ‘My bed is a magical place where I suddenly remember everything I was supposed to do.’ (Anon)
The problem with sleep deprivation:
- Increases the risk of diabetes, stroke, obesity, depression and heart disease
- Reduces memory, focus and work productivity
What’s the big deal with sleep? Below are just some of the benefits of consistent and deep sleep:
- Our muscles and organs are repaired
- Our autoimmune system is enhanced
- Our metabolism is boosted
- Our metabolic waste and toxins are eliminated
Would you like a sleep upgrade?
Both deep abdominal breathing and calming thinking are the dynamic duo to effective sleep.
Deep abdominal breathing
Inhale slowly for the count of four
Exhale slowly for the count of six
Repeat for a few minutes before sleep
Activate the positive emotion of gratitude. While breathing deeply, think about three things you are grateful for.
Tip: don’t focus on getting to sleep.
Focus on your breathing and thinking. Make this your evening routine and sleep will follow naturally.
“Comparison is the thief of joy.”Theodore Roosevelt I know firsthand that comparison is a thief of joy. Comparison leads to unnecessary stress and anxiety. Comparison can lead to superiority: I’m smarter than you I’m better than you...
Are we there yet? Navigating through our mental health struggles is not a quick fix, but a daring and often slow journey encompassing dramatic ebbs and flows. Here are two tips that I have found helpful on my journey of emotional recovery: 1....
To fear is to be human. Fear is first provoked in the amygdala, the primal part of our brain that is hardwired for our protection and survival. Fearful thoughts immediately activate our ‘fight-freeze-flight’ stress response, releasing an...